The Benefits of Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy for Tendonitis
Tendonitis is a common condition that impacts the lives of countless men and women each year. It causes pain in the tendon, making everyday movements difficult or even impossible. Now, there's a proven way to treat tendonitis without invasive measures. Extracorporeal shock wave therapy (ESWT) uses sound waves to stimulate healing, allowing people to recover more quickly and with less discomfort.
Interventional Orthopedics of Atlanta is proud to provide innovative treatments like ESWT in Atlanta, GA. Call to book a consultation with Dr. Christopher Williams and see how ESWT can help you manage your tendonitis.
Do you have tendonitis symptoms?
Tendonitis is an inflammation of tendons, the tissues that connect the muscles to the bones. This condition can be caused by repetitive movement or by a sudden injury such as a strain or sprain. Signs vary depending on the affected area, but common tendonitis symptoms include:
- Pain: Any discomfort you experience may be mild initially but can intensify over time.
- Tenderness: Excessive pressure can lead to increased pain in the tendon.
- Swelling: Inflammation is sometimes accompanied by redness or a feeling of warmth.
- Stiffness: Tendonitis can lead to restricted movement that makes it very challenging to perform basic activities.
Patients should know that the above symptoms can be similar to conditions such as bursitis or arthritis. If you suspect you have tendonitis, it's important to consult a healthcare professional like Dr. Williams for a diagnosis and custom treatment plan in Atlanta, GA.
What is ESWT, and how does it work?
Extracorporeal shock wave therapy uses cutting-edge sound waves to stimulate natural healing. There's no need for anesthetic or any special preparation beforehand. The high-energy sound waves create shockwaves that stimulate blood flow and tissue regeneration. This reduces inflammation and pain in the tendon while promoting healing.
ESWT is typically done on an outpatient basis at Interventional Orthopedics of Atlanta. It can be completed in 15 – 20 minutes, based on the area involved. Most people feel some discomfort during treatment, but there is no downtime afterward. Dr. Williams advises patients to rest and avoid strenuous exercise for a short period.
What are the benefits of ESWT?
Studies have shown that ESWT can significantly reduce pain and improve function in people with tendonitis. It's especially useful for people who have tried other more conventional methods, such as rest and ice, but still experience discomfort. Additional benefits of working with our team:
- Noninvasive and nonsurgical: There's no need for needles or surgery to manage tendonitis.
- Safe and effective: Extracorporeal shock wave therapy has been proven to manage tendonitis with few side effects.
- Quick recovery: Most people experience relief from pain and improved function after their first treatment, with continuing improvements over the next 8 – 12 weeks.
- Convenient: You can easily book an appointment without taking time away from other commitments.
Try ESWT for tendonitis
Tendonitis symptoms can be debilitating, but the appropriate treatment can help you return to your favorite activities. Ask about extracorporeal shock wave therapy at Interventional Orthopedics of Atlanta. Dr. Christopher Williams can provide further information about this revolutionary process and determine if it helps meet your needs in Atlanta, GA. Call to book a consultation and get started on your journey to wellness.