Can Hand CMC Joint Arthritis be Prevented?
Dr. Christopher Williams at Interventional Orthopedics of Atlanta in Atlanta, GA, has been specializing in treating thumb arthritis for years. Hand CMC (carpometacarpal) joint arthritis is becoming more common among adults. The CMC joint is the basal joint at the base of the thumb that can develop arthritis due to a number of causes. Many patients come to Dr. Williams seeking answers about what causes thumb arthritis and if it's preventable. Understanding the factors behind this condition can help in its prevention and treatment.
What causes thumb arthritis?
There are several contributing factors to thumb arthritis, including genetics, age, and repetitive stress on the hand. Dr. Williams emphasizes that while some factors are unavoidable, certain measures can be taken to reduce the risk:
- Avoid repetitive strain: By using ergonomic tools and giving your thumb proper rest.
- Wear supportive gear: If you have a job that requires constant thumb movement.
- Hand exercises: These may be helpful in preventing the stiffening of the joint.
- Healthy diet and exercise: To maintain overall joint health.
What are the symptoms of thumb arthritis?
Patients suffering from hand CMC joint arthritis often experience the following symptoms:
- Pain in the base of the thumb
- Swelling and stiffness
- Decreased strength and range of motion
- Difficulty performing daily tasks like opening jars or turning keys
If you notice any of these signs, thumb arthritis treatment in Atlanta, GA with Dr. Williams may help in managing the condition effectively.
How does Dr. Williams diagnose and treat thumb arthritis?
Dr. Williams' approach to diagnosing thumb arthritis is thorough, involving a detailed medical history, physical examination, and sometimes imaging studies. His treatment plans are tailored to each patient's specific needs, considering factors such as age, lifestyle, and the severity of the condition. Here's a brief overview of his approach:
- Less invasive options are offered first. This may include medications, steroid injections, occupational or physical therapy, or biologic injections such as platelet rich plasma (PRP) and bone marrow concentrate.
- More invasive interventions if necessary.
- Follow-up care to ensure optimal recovery and rehabilitation.
Can thumb arthritis treatment in Atlanta, GA help you?
If you are experiencing symptoms of thumb arthritis, visiting Interventional Orthopedics of Atlanta may be the solution. Dr. Christopher Williams and his team offer state-of-the-art thumb arthritis treatment in Atlanta, GA. Don't let this condition hamper your daily life. Understanding what causes thumb arthritis and seeking professional medical care can make a significant difference in your quality of life. Reach out to Dr. Williams at Interventional Orthopedics of Atlanta today and take the first step toward a virtually pain-free life. Whether it's a consultation, diagnosis, or treatment, you can count on personalized care every step of the way. Visit us in Atlanta, GA, or call to schedule an appointment. Your hands deserve the best care possible, and we're here to provide it.